I cant tell you how often I get called, emailed or asked about connection issues with Project to Project Server 2003. Very often it is the sever setting that cause the issue. For those issues I am posting this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 912272.
I am posting the full text here:
Error message when you try to connect to Project Server 2003 or Project Server 2002 from Project Professional 2003 or Project Professional 2002: "Unexpected server response" or "Microsoft Project cannot access the Microsoft Project Server"
Article ID: 912272
Last Review: January 19, 2006
When you try to connect to Microsoft Office Project Server 2003 or Microsoft Project Server 2002 from Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003 or Microsoft Project Professional 2002, you may receive an error message.When you use a Project Server account, you may receive the following error message:
Unexpected server response. Project Server has returned an unexpected response.Click the "View" button to view the server response as an error page in your browser.
When you use Integrated Windows authentication, you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft Project cannot access the Microsoft Project Server. Make sure the server is functioning correctly, and is a valid Microsoft Project Version_Number Server.
This problem occurs when the authentication type settings for the Project Server Web site directory and for the Project Server files are changed from the required settings.
To resolve this problem, configure the authentication type settings for the Project Server Web site directory and for the Project Server files that are used in the logon process. The following table contains the appropriate authentication types.
Directory or file Authentication
Main directory Integrated Windows
Lgninst.asp Integrated Windows
Lgnintau.asp Integrated Windows
Lgnintpj.asp Integrated Windows
Lgnps.asp Integrated Windows and Anonymous
Lgnpsau.asp Integrated Windows and Anonymous
Lgnpspj.asp Integrated Windows and Anonymous
To configure the authentication type settings on the Project Server Web site and on the Project Server files, follow these steps:
1. On the Project Server computer, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
2. Expand Server_Name, expand Web Sites, and then expand Default Web Site.
3. Right-click ProjectServer, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Directory Security tab.
5. Click Edit, and then click to select the Integrated Windows authentication check box. Make sure that no other check boxes are selected on the Directory Security tab.
6. Click OK two times.
7. In the left pane, click ProjectServer.
8. In the right pane, right-click LGNBSC.ASP, and then click Properties.
9. Click the File Security tab.
10. Click Edit, and then click to select the Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text) check box. Make sure that no other check boxes are selected on the File Security tab.
11. Click OK two times.
12. Repeat steps 8, 9, and 10 for all the files that are included in the table.
There may be client issues with Trusted Site Security Settings in IE as well but often the Server settings above will fix most issues.
Still cant connect? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org